Thursday, April 10, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 4/10/08
“For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.”
(Jeremiah 29:11) From the time that he was a child, Tony Dungy’s mother taught him to read and appreciate the Bible. Who was to know that a passage like this one from Jeremiah would be able to help him endure some of the really difficult times in his life? Have there been Bible verses or other writings that have helped you to endure? ;-) Jack

FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: During my eight years of elementary school we studied the Bible and memorized many verses. All of them were pertinent to various aspects of life, the trials we would face, and the hope those Biblical references offered. Over the years those verses have come back to me repeatedly, and provided the support, comfort and strength that kept me going.

FROM YOOPER, PR B.L.: Yep! Exodus 3:7-8a Isaiah 50:4 I Cor. 15:3-9

FROM MOLINER, G.S.: Matt 6:34 (anxiety in college), Malachi 3:10 (running a business), Romans 8:28 (business, life), Phil 4:13(getting fired), Isaiah 40:31(heart attack from overexercise), 1John 5:14-15 (life)

FROM D.P.: The verse that immediately came to me was Proverbs 3; 5&6----"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not rely on your own insight. In all your ways acknowledgehim, and he will make straight your paths." Someone sent me this verse 57 years ago after I had 2nd and 3rd degree burns on 65% of my body while in college. That Bible verse nurtured me then, and has continued to guide me throughout my life, including accepting the death of my spouse.

FROM PR C.H. ON CAPE COD: This is one of my favorite verses too!

FROM B.S. NEAR ORLANDO: This sounds like the original "Positive thinking".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like the idea from the one that "My thoughts are not your thoughts and your ways are not my ways" or something like that. Whenever I find myself thinking ill of people or of events happening in my life or even ill about myself, I remember this truthful statement our Lord made about Himself and it enables me to have some prayerful distance from my own negative thoughts and next thing I know life has taken a turn for the better.
Sharon