Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 3/5/08
“The gods, too, are fond of a joke.”
(Aristotle) I’ve seen pictures of a laughing Jesus. Does that mean that God laughs, too? Can you think of things happening in the world today that could be humorous to God? The Greek philosopher, Aristotle, wrote about politics, ethics, metaphysics and poetry, among many other things. I can imagine that he also told some jokes. ;-) Jack


FROM MOLINER, L.P.: When you think about it, "funny" is a funny thing. All cultures have humor, so my guess is that God does, too. I wonder whether God sings in the shower... JACK'S RESPONSE: Since God is a spirit, he needs the body figure of Jesus for laughing and communicating to us that he knows what it is to be human. Nothing in the Bible about Jesus taking a shower. Evidently the Gospel writers weren't obsessed with soap products as we are. They do speak of Jesus washing his hands. Before I gave communion on Sunday, there was a bottle of disinfectant and a bowl of water available, so that those receiving the bread and wine wouldn't get germs. Wouldn't it be laughable to see a bottle of disinfectant on the table in the picture of The Last Supper?

MORE FROM L.P.: In Sunday school we were told that Jesus was probably born in August. I think it had to do with when the taxes were collected in Jerusalem or something. Do you know anything about this? I also used to check periodically to see if my ears were loosening up on my head, as we were told that was an initial sign of leprosy. The stuff that you remember!

FROM DAZ IN MICHIGAN: I was going to get philosophical about politics, change and elections, but I've got other fish to fry. I remember one guy who was elected in Germany in the 30's and promised change and the Germans got it along with everyone else.

FROM PR J.S. IN MICHIGAN: You notice that he said "the gods"....not God. Jesus certainly seemed to have a sense of humor. To make any comment about God's sense of humor, I think, would be to stretch the point a bit. Unless....of course, one is a theological liberal and is able to envision God in their own image!!!
Do you really mean what you said? "God created Jesus" That sounds very Arian to me. Did you use the Nicene Creed in your church. If so, did you cross your fingers when you said, "begotten not made, being of one substance with the Father...."??? Or was your statement a "slip of the pen"?

FROM J.L. IN MICHIGAN: I imagine He has a lot to laugh about. In fact, I sure hope He has a tremendous sense of humor, otherwise He would be crying.

I choose to believe He is smiling!

FROM L.K. IN OHIO: Yes, I do think God laughs.....alot!!!


FROM MOLINER, C.F.: Looks like God is having his joke.

FROM PR. P.H. IN MINNESOTA: like it or not, certain films like O God, Bruce Almighty, and Evan Almighty depict God is very likeable ways...

FROM D.C. IN KANSAS: Yes, notions that I can be god.

FROM J.N. IN MICHIGAN:
Years ago I saw a non-Hallmark brand card on sale at a Hallmark Shop with the following message inside: "If I can't laugh in heaven, I don't want to go there." It was attributed to Martin Luther. A couple people who saw the card doubted that he said that. I'd like to think that he did. So far as things happening in the world today to cause God to laugh, they're probably overshadowed by the bad things happening to His creation.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually I wonder whether God is amused at this whole Kwame thing. I can write this now that the City Council made the decision yesterday to wait longer to make a decision to depose him. I always have been curious about that part in the Bible where Jesus bends down and writes something in the dirt while he's busy working out things between the adulteror and the crowd. Was he telling us in 2008 to be careful with our text messages? Don't write them in front of people where people can see them? Was he trying to tell us to be sure to read scriptures? Did that adulteror and the other person send each other some steamy letters on papyrus or something? Why the heck did Jesus do that? Do you know, Pastor Freed?
Sharon