Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 3/26/08
“Somewhere beneath the stars there is something that you alone were meant to do. Never rest until you have found out what it is.”
(John Brashear) My mother-in-law began teaching in a one room school. She was the janitor, too. On weekends, no matter what the weather, she’d walk 10 miles back to her parents’ home. She was also a choir director, organist and piano teacher…and a saver of quotes like this one. ;-) Jack

FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: The music your mother-in-law made may still be wafting out there "somewhere beneath the stars" , while what she believed is still here on earth for us to read and relate to. Knowing how she lived and what she believed, she's a true role model.

MORE FROM R.I.: Knowing about her, now we understand better why Mary is such an admirable person. I suppose that "one thing you alone were meant to do" was to find her and marry her.
I've often wondered just what it was that caused my wife and I to cross paths. Was it meant to be?

FROM MOLINER, G.S.: Quite a legacy

FROM P.O. IN MICHIGAN: I think I'd have liked your mother-in-law --- definitely my kind of lady!

FROM J.L. IN MICHIGAN: Where did she teach school? Gary's grandmother and aunts were school teachers too. Mabel Lincoln taught school near Cadillac, Michigan. Her school is still standing. I have her little school bell she rang to quiet the children down. It's remarkable what they used to do. We have it easy now with our dishwashers, "ready-made clothes", washers, dryers, etc. My passion is reading about the pioneer days and early Michigan history. They were some strong people!! JACK'S RESPONSE: She taught in rural Lincoln County, Wisconsin. The school is gone, but not the memory. She had to start the fire in the pot belly stove each day. No indoor plumbing. She lived during the week with an elderly couple. They went to bed at 7 pm, and turned out the lights. She was the oldest of 8 children. During the big flu epidemic, she was the only one who stayed healthy....and had to care for all of her siblings and her parents at the same time.

FROM A,MC IN MICHIGAN: And people think they work hard today! My dad worked seven days a week when we came out of the depression. He had lost his business during those challenging times.

FROM CJL IN OHIO: makes one feel as though he has done very little.

FROM G.C. IN SAN DIEGO: This mother-in-law must have been quite a lady. Impressed. Please relate the same to your partner.

FROM MOLINER, L.P.: Good morning. It is so refreshing to hear someone (of either sex) speak with respect and admiration toward an in-law. It is also refreshing to hear of an in-law who is worthy of it...

FROM J.B.: Sounds like an awesome lady!

FROM B.S. NEAR ORLANDO: Your mother in law was a real gem. When I attended a one room school house we "men", rotated the duties so our pregnant teacher didn't have to lift a finger.That was a real story in itself.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

With a perspective like that, treasuring those Winning Words, your mother-in-law must have been a fantastic teacher, one able to draw absolutely the very best out of her students.
While I'm going around today, I'll be recalling these WW and be looking at every single soul I meet knowing this about them and about me.
Sharon