Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 3/25/08
S.M. reminded me that this is Women’s History month. My mother-in-law lived before there were such observances, but she printed in her Composition Book a long time ago:
“Prize your friend for her own true heart, Though her dress be poor and mean; The years, like a fairy wand, May change Cinderella to a queen.” (Unknown) Have you met any Queen Cinderellas in your lifetime? I have. ;-) Jack


FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: That quote is so insightful, but one needs to accumulate some years to appreciate it. It's really satisfying for me to meet someone from my childhood in later years, and observe how time has given that person charm and refinement...hoping that time has done the same for me.
Your mother was a remarkable woman, and now we find that Mary's mother was special too; sorry I never met her. I expect the composition book you have inherited has many illuminating passages.
When I was in elementary school, a Lutheran parochial school in Missouri, it was common for each of us to have a little "Memories" book, probably similar to what your mother-in-law kept. However, our procedure was to pass our book around to our schoolmates and have them write comments or verses for us. Unfortunately many of us did not have the foresight to protect and cherish the little book, and mine has disappeared. I can still remember one verse someone wrote in my book: "Columbus discovered America in 1492, but I discovered something better when I discovered you." I would be happy to write that in your book, Jack.


FROM L.K. IN OHIO: ...and yet another good one.

FROM CJL IN OHIO: I married one!

FROM B.S. NEAR ORLANDO: yes,yes,yes,. Moma Monticelli. She came over and helped my wife after she had Matt. She had Rom as a child at home, and a new baby and husband who worked a 12 hr day, and took phone calls at night. This Angel of Light was so generous with her kindness, she was sent bythe good Lord. I cannot say enough of this fine lady. My relatives didn't even bring over a loaf of home made or taylor made bread.

FROM J.O. IN MICHIGAN: I don't know about how many Cinderellas I've met, but I sure read Winning Words...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My friend, Alice lived for 5 years on a ventilator and a feeding tube in the Farmington Health Care Center. She lived in hospital gowns, even I sewed her myself 7 hospital gowns with collars on them. Last Saturday she died. I just found out from our previous Pastor that when she had gone into the nursing home, it was under the guardianship of the State. She has been the Ward of the State I guess and so therefore subject to all of the State's decisions. I believe God, calling her to be with him--especially during this most Holy Week of the year showed that He has matched the glass slipper with her own delicate foot and Alice is the real queen. Alleleuia! Christ is risen. He is risen indeed.
Sharon