Friday, March 14, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 3/14/08
“It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.”
(Charles Darwin) Many politicians these days are talking about change. Change can be good or bad, depending on from what to what Do you remember the saying, “Be careful of what you wish for, you may get it.”? Having said that, it’s good to change your socks once in a while. ;-) Jack


FROM J.L. IN MICHIGAN: Change is hard for me sometimes....sometimes easy as pie! It depends on the flavor of change, the reason for change and who is will effect. Change is good when it means something but just to change for the heck of it, doesn't do much for me. Like this time change....good for some sometimes, but hard for others. It's takes me a while to get used to it, but I really do like it.
My beloved red-winged blackbirds came back today...this very morning. I llove that change!!


REPLY FROM JACK: Do you know the hymn:
CHANGE AND DECAY IN ALL AROUND I SEE
O, THOU, WHO CHANGEST NOT, ABIDE WITH ME.

FROM N.K. IN YOOPERLAND: CHANGE.......So many things I never thought I'd live to see, During the depression - my Dad was able to get a job with an engineering company...we had to move about every 12 to 18 months.He was one of those people that after the building was ready for the TURBINE IN THE POWER PLANT. Dad would get the turbine in place....About 80 % of the jobs were in Alabama,Louisiana, Texas, Florida. Our family were the DAMN YANKEES. Mom and Dad were always trying to help the negroes that had NOTHING. Not even the Fire dept would come to their houses when their houses caught on fire. This is still very vivid in my heart and memory. When I applied for my Parish Worker job at SALEM 74th & Calumet..
The Pastor was Phil Johnson (and Cecile Ryden Johnson). The negroes were moving in and Phil wanted some help...visiting....etc. His first parish had been in Caliifornia...and was helping the migrant workers.
Now I think back on CHANGE !!!!! When I chaperoned our youth group to go to the BOSTON YOUTH GROUP. Guess what ? I believe we were the firstones that had a negro girl in our youth group.
CHANGE......One of our young men from Salem became the first black Page in Congress.
And now - lo and behold a Senator from Illinois is running for CHANGE.
I have to get another cup of coffee...


FROM D.P. IN MINNESOTA: That reminds me of: If your nose runs and your feet smell, you must be up-side-down!

FROM B.S. NEAR ORLANDO: Tell that to the chin strap penquins. I saw a bit on T.V. that illustrated their problem & demise. This is shameful on humans part. I wonder when other folks are going to ride their bikes to the grocery, school, church, library, etc. and unplug electrical items not in use.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I only hope the change is careful and prudent, maybe it's better sometimes if it is slow. We were talking the other day in Bible study about the psychiatric institutions in this area being closed and how now we have so many people with psychiatric illnesses homeless on the streets or even in prisons. Communities do change in response to policy change but do they change in a good direction?
Sharon