Thursday, March 13, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 3/13//08
“You don’t have to like doing your homework; you just have to do it.”
(Words from Good Debt Jon’s mother) There are often things in this life that we don’t like to do. But that’s the way it is. My mother used to say to me, “Tough!” What did your mom used to say to you? I know of people who don’t like to prepare their taxes…So, move to another country! The simple point is wrapped up in the Nike slogan, “Just do it!” ;-) Jack

FROM MOLINER, C.F.: Good Debt John had a smart mother. My mother said the same thing but she added "NOW" to the end of the directive. MORE FROM C.F.: Another....Probably, "Clean your playroom"

FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: My mom: "Listen, mister, if I can do it, so can you!" MORE FROM R.I.: I wish I had then what I have now, able then to make my mom's life a little more comfortable. She traveled a rough road during the 89 years of her life. The fact is, I could have given her much more than I did, showering her with more simple acts of love, kindness and attention. Those cost nothing and mean so much, and ironically it's too late now when I finally understand that.

FROM J.N. IN MICHIGAN: There wasn't a word or phrase, but the attitude was always that I had to do what I had to do. The phrase from my mom that I most recall and have passed on to my children is "If things are as bad as you think, they can only get better." The implication was, hang in there and don't give up.

FROM J.H. IN OHIO: I remember one day long long ago when I had a pile of papers to grade and I was sitting in the hospital with my mom after a surgery. She looked at the pile of papers and told me to just give the top paper an "A", the next a "B" , etc. all the way down to the bottom. And if the person with an "F" paper complained, tell them that they are scheduled for an "A" next time!
That was a very tempting solution... but I decided to use the Nike version instead... Just Do It!

FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN: Good Morning! As I sit here reading today's WW a grand daughter is here reading them with me. You baptized her years ago at Holy Spirit. She is now a very special 14 yr old who is a 9th grader and getting a 4.0 GPA, very active in several sports (was MVP in volleyball last fall), and a big help to her single Mother. The "coincidence" of the day, the WW, the audience, etc. all coming together is interesting to me!

FROM D.S. IN SAN DIEGO: My wife always tells our kids, "life wasn't set up to be necessarily fair".

FROM ANON: Now, as my child's mother, I've tried every saying in the book (and a few that are unprintable) to get her you-know-what in gear. If anyone knows the magic words, do pass them along to me-- she gets top grades, is a very hard worker at her job, but won't do a thing at home. Never has. But that doesn't mean I'm giving up!

FROM F.M. IN WISCONSIN: My mother said, "Don't ask questions - just do it!"

FROM JACK: M is for the million things she gives meO means only that she's soft to holdT for the things she tries to teach meH is for her heart of purest goldE for her eyes with love light shiningR means right and right she'll always bePut them all together they spell Mother,A word that means the world to me.

FROM BUDDY HACKETT: My mother's menu consisted of two choices: Take it or leave it.

FROM A PASTOR IN WISCONSIN: AMEN - I had my mother until she was almost 104 years old - and she had her mind up to the day she died. She was 38 1/2 when I was born - her first pregnancy. She had a lot of trouble - and at times it didn't appear that she would deliver a healthy baby. She prayed to God that I might live and be born - and if I lived she promised God that she would dedicate me to the ministry. She never told me the story until after I was ordained - she just didn't want to influence me in that way. But she was always so supportive - and I thank God for her devotion and love.

MORE FROM GOOD DEBT JON: I hope they have blog access in heaven for my Mom to see, looks like her quote generated some discussion. She died 32 years ago.

REPLY FROM JACK: This song is from the era before blogs, or even dials.

Papa, I'm so sad and lonely Sobbed a tearful little child Since dear Mama's gone to heaven Papa dear, you do not smile
Chorus Hello Central give me heaven For I know my mother's there You will find her with the angels Over on the golden stair
She'll be glad it's me a-speaking Won't you call her for me please For I surely want to tell her That we're sad without her here
I will speak to her and tell her That we want her to come home Just you listen and I'll call her Call her through the telephone
When the girl received this message Coming o'er the telephone How her heart thrilled in that moment And the wires seemed to moan
I will answer just to please her Yes, dear heart, I'll soon come home Kiss me Mama, kiss your darling Kiss me through the telephone

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Stop that reading and get down here and do the dishes." (I would be cloistered in my bedroom, reading). Consequently my mother set the habit of always getting the dishes done. God rest her soul. It was interesting to hear Good Debt Jon's mother's quote and your mom's.