Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 2/5/08
“The poor man is not he without a cent, but he who is without a dream.”
(Harry Kemp) A couple of the reasons for sending Winning Words to you is to stimulate your thinking and your dreaming. Kemp was known as the “freight-car poet” because of his wanderlust and his commentary on ordinary stuff. He lived his dream. ;-) Jack

FROM CJL IN OHIO: Thanks for the WW! It helps keeping us "brain alive"

FROM PR P.H. IN MINNESOTA: wasn't he related to Box Car Willie??

FROM PR J.S. IN MICHIGAN: We pray each day for our daily bread because to be without a cent is to be very poor. One of the great aspects of the NT is to realize that having no daily bread is not a good deal. Beng without a dream is another form of poverty.

FROM M.L. IN ILLINOIS: dream big. vote today!

FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: Kemp's words are pretty strong stuff, coming from a common man, for the "common man."

FROM B.S. NEAR ORLANDO: We used to walk barefoot over to Gdma's house on the northside of Kenosha. She told us we had the wanderlust. And, we were Seiribbers ( sailors who wander ). Call me what you want Grandma, I still love your cooking. She used to say to me,"what can I make for you Bobbie?", so I would suggest something and she would say,"chop me some wood for the fire and I'll make it for you". Hell I was ambidextrous, I could chop wood with both hands. Grandma had a fire in no time and i had a belly of food. Nice trade.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Something in me always wants to be together meaningfully with the poor man without a cent because it seems like if we cannot share "a/our/the dream" together it really means poverty of Spirit for me. Your Winning Words do stimilate our thinking and dreaming, Pastor Freed, and especially I dream and pray always that God will take care of EVERYBODY'S needs, material and spiritual.
God's Peace,
Sharon