Thursday, February 21, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 2/21/08
“Don’t be humble—Remind yourself of all your good qualities.”
(#18 from 2002 Ways To Cheer Yourself Up by Cyndi Haynes) When we were younger, most of us were told not to brag. If, in your own mind, you list your good qualities, that’s not bragging. It’s self evaluation. Use a piece of paper (or several), if you want. ;-) Jack

FROM PR J.S. IN MICHIGAN: I think the word "humble" is one of the most ill used words in the English language. What do we mean by that term? I think that the biblical understanding of that word is "to be human." When we accept that we are not God but that we are someone special made by God, we are human. That is a wonderful thing to be.

JACK'S RESPONSE TO J.S.: So....#1 on Siefken's list: I AM HUMBLE!

MORE TO J.S.: Here's a song for you to sing today. Oh Lord it's hard to be humble when you're perfect in every way I can't wait to look in the mirror 'cause I get better lookin' each day To know me is to love me, I must be a hell of a man Oh Lord it's hard to be humble, but I'm doin' the best that I can

FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: Of ways to cheer yourself up, I prefer Jesus to Cyndi Haynes: "In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world." (John 16:33)

FROM MOLINER: C.F.: Reminding YOURSELF of your good qualities is what humbleness is all about.

FROM J.C. IN HONG KONG: "What does the LORD require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?" (From "2002 Ways Not to Deceive Yourself With Secular "Thinking"" - Various Authors)

FROM J.N. IN MICHIGAN: Today's W.W. words remind me of an exercise that was conducted at a meeting I attended many years ago. We went around the circle and told of a bad characteristic we have. No one flinched. I don't recall if we did this more than twice. Then, we had to say something good about ourselves and that went around the circle three times. No one flinched at having to tell a negative characteristic, but there was great hesitation about saying something good about ourselves, especially three things.
That's sort of related to the old elementary classroom vote where classmates peeked to see if you voted for yourself. Or when I excused myself from the annual congregational meeting during voting for President of the Congregation. The vote was by hand and I did not want to see who did or did not support me. The pastor cast my vote and I told him I was voting for myself. I figured if I couldn't support myself, I shouldn't be a candidate.

FROM J.O. IN MICHIGAN: Isn't it amazing how wonderful it is to be able to turn things over to the Lord? Today is one of those days for me...I hope it's not like that for you.

FROM D.P. IN MINNESOTA: Good idea, today I needed that!

FROM J.L. IN MICHIGAN: You can be humble and still realize your blessings. I have strong points and weak ones....all make up who I am. I have more good qualities than bad, at least I think so....no I know so. As for writing them down, I really only care if they are found in the God's book!

No comments: