Friday, January 04, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 1/4/08
“I don’t pretend to understand the universe. It’s a great deal bigger than I am.”
(Thomas Carlyle) If we can’t understand the universe, how can we understand the creator of the universe? I’m suspicious of those know it all. I’m comfortable with a knowledge that is incomplete. In the sweet by and by, we’ll understand. ;-) Jack

FROM REV J.S. IN MICHIGAN: We don't need to understand the Creator of the Universe. We NEED to know one thing: what are his intentions toward us? If the Creator despises us, we have real troubles. If the Creator is indifferent to us, we need to just carry on and do our own thing. If the Creator loves us, hallelujah! If the Creator is also the Redeemer, we better start listening and worshipping and hearing the Word the Creator has for us. Thus, the Revelation in Jesus Christ. It doesn't deal with a knowledge of God as with a knowledge of what God intends toward us and for us. Maybe we should listen carefully to that revelation and not just set it aside. If our reason is to faulty to understand the universe, perhaps it will fail us in other areas.

FROM G.G. IN INDIANA: I share your suspicion. As Iris Dement sings "I'll just let the mystery be".

THANKS FOR MENTIONING THIS SONG. I LIKE THE THOUGHT: Everybody's wonderin' what and where they all came from.Everybody's worryin' 'bout where they're gonna go when the whole thing's done.But no one knows for certain and so it's all the same to me.I think I'll just let the mystery be.Some say once you're gone you're gone forever, and some say you're gonna come back.Some say you rest in the arms of the Saviour if in sinful ways you lack.Some say that they're comin' back in a garden, bunch of carrots and little sweet peas.I think I'll just let the mystery be.


FROM M.L. IN ILLINOIS: one must just put one step in front of the other, placing trust in the universe and creator. she is an awesome power. how sweet!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What perplexes me is that in this period of time culturally we believe that science is a rational endeavor and yet theologically we learn and accept that God is all powerful and throughout all of creation intervenes and does stuff that does not look scientific. The virgin birth is one example. Does this mean that if we could exit our culture and look over the top of it, that our scientific rational endeavors are actually pretty measly? God gives us our brains and, me at least when I look back at Him I am perplexed by what He is doing among all our brains in this period of scientific and technological growth. What's He going to do now and will we be able to accept it?