Thursday, January 03, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 1/3/08
“It’s easier to do things the wrong way, but it’s always best to do them the right way.”
(CleoMae Dungy) Tony Dungy remembers his mother saying these words. They appear in a book by Tony that I received.as a Christmas present. I also got one by Steve Martin. I’ll quote from that when I’m brave enough. ;-) Jack



FROM D.G-H IN NYC: I bet every family has a similar saying. My father's line, which rings in my ears and those of my brothers, is: "It's never wrong to do the right thing.".

FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: I'm not sure I agree with Mrs. Dungy's comment, but yours about receiving books as gifts interests me. When someone gives a book they apparently believe it presents something in which the recipient has interest, or there is something in the book about which the recipient should be informed. So, for myself, I'm always anxious to get into it and find out what is there. I have to admit that in many such cases I find the author writes much more than is necessary to cover the subject. It's as if the premise is, "well, I've got to write a lot because the book has got to be big enough to command $25 in the bookstore." Do you ever feel that way?

FROM REV J.S. IN MICHIGAN: How many times I heard from my mother, "If you are going to do somethng, take the time to do it right." I think it is finally sinking in although my creative instincts are much stronger than my perfectionist instincts.

FROM J.L. IN MICHIGAN: My parents always said..."Do it right the first time and you have more time for the fun." And, us kids, well, most of us kids, did it right the first time. I'll be watching for Steve's words one of these days!

No comments: