Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Jack’s Winning Words 1/22/08
It is better to sleep on things beforehand than lie awake about them afterward.”
(Gracian) I’ve found that it’s a good idea to hold off writing a letter or e-mail when you’re “hot under the collar.” With the passing of a day or so, better judgment takes over, and you are saved some grief. If you want to get it out of your system, write the letter, let it sit, and then tear it up. ;-) Jack

FROM GOOD DEBT JON IN OHIO: Reminds me of what my Dad used to say, “Measure twice, cut once.” But but putty can make up for a lot of loose fits.

FROM G.G. IN INDIANA: You are speaking my language with this one! A lesson paid for by more than one restless night. My mother always warned me about my "spitfire" temper....we used to go at it pretty good and then laugh about it later.

FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: Your quote is excellent advice, and your wrap-up comment about writing, waiting, and tearing up is equally excellent.

FROM M.E. IN CALIFORNIA: Amen. Will save this one as I never used the lie awake afterward consequence.

FROM L.P. IN ILLINOIS: Yep, sooner or later you learn the "24 Hour Rule." It's amazing how silly that heated letter you wrote looks the next morning.

FROM K.B. IN MICHIGAN: Perfect for me this week--

FROM L.H. IN MARCO: Being the outspoken impulsive person that I am, I have made an attempt to cool down before I take action. However, there are some times where you only have one chance to do something and then you must strike when the iron is hot. The trick is to learn to decide what to do when

FROM F.M. IN WISCONSIN: The same applies to speaking quickly, without 'sleeping' on what you will say . . . there is no way to retrieve or 'tear' up words - once spoken, they are out there .

FROM J.L. IN MICHIGAN: Just had a Bible Study about this last night....it's okay to get your anger out and wait until you have a level head, so to speak, but it doesn't solve the problem....

FROM L.P. IN MICHIGAN: Thanks. This was a very timely WW for me today.

FROM B.S. NEAR ORLANDO: Repley: Great idea Jack, a gent by the name of Abe L., said the same thing, some time ago. Now if we could only practice this good idea.

FROM CWR IN BALTIMORE: .........I have a story about that too. At the hospital where I was chaplain, for the whole time I was there , my Secretary (now called Administrative Assistant), was a great person. She was great and she knew me well. Sometimes, when I was tired and stressed and somebody in the organization really irritated me, I'd fire off a memo or a longer letter to them....a letter both blunt and sometimes crude. She always typed them up for me and, being a kind, efficient, and good Catholic mother, put them in her desk drawer for a day or two, and then, if I was in a good mood approach me and say something like, "that letter you asked me to type and send yesterday is ready. Do you still want me to send it?" Those letters and memos never went out and both she and I enjoyed long and successful hospital careers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I felt I had to say something today that was disruptive of peace but nevertheless felt I had to say it. Been praying since and stewing and fretting. I've experienced in the past that the thing I said or did that was so awful the other person didn't take no notice of really and the relationship just kept on continuing. Hope that happens tomorrow for me and my friend but also hope we're changed a little from the dialogue.