Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Jack’s Winning Words 12/4/07
“Do not free the camel of the burden of his hump; you may be freeing him from being a camel.”
(M. Kathleen Casey) I guess I’ve never thought of it that way before. We are who we are. Of course, if I could talk with a camel, he might want to be rid of his hump. I read somewhere that Helen Keller was satisfied with her hump. ;-) Jack

FROM EMT SINGS IN MICHIGAN: Talk about a hump! Have you seen those renowned cojoined twins that are joined at the head? They are often featured on Discovery, on documentaries,etc. The one twin is the verbal one and able to walk. The other twin is constantly on a wheeled contraption. Obviously, they are constantly together and I saw them lately on a program where they were going through a museum and enjoying it like everyone else. As they were interviewed the verbal twin stated that she is just like anyone else who is making her way thru life and could not fathom being any different. She is apparantly able to "get inside herself" and function, at least emotionally, independantly.

FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: If you offered to remove the camel's hump, it might reply as Igor did, in the movie comedy Young Frankenstein..."What hump?"

MORE FROM R.I.: Another fan of Mel Brooks? Regarding Young Frankenstein, there are so many clever transformations of common expressions (Pardon me, is that the Transylvania Station?) which I'm sure you appreciate as well. One sequence that broke me up was Igor helping the buxom young woman from the coach as Dr. Frankenstein is standing at the castle door and says, "Wow, what a pair of knockers!

FROM J.L. IN MICHIGAN: I wonder if Lincoln, Juliett Low, or anyone with any kind of "handicap", if they would be different people if they weren't so burdened. Don't we all have our humps? That's what makes us us! The camel's hump enables him to survive in places he never would be able to live....so I'm sure he probably is grateful....most of the time!

MORE FROM J.L.: (On Juliette) Did you read about her wedding and the rice getting into her ear? People face all kinds of adversity in their lives but keep going....at least most people do...

FROM C.H. ON CAPE COD: Intersting you mention Helen Keller... When I read the quote I think of some in the deaf community who would agree adamently (and have major issues with the idea of a cochlear implant, for example).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

With the Christmas season upon us, thhis quote reminds me of movie "It's a Wonderful Life", and how if we could change the past (or who we are) it might not be for the best.