Monday, December 17, 2007

Jack’s Winning Words 12/17/07
“On earth there is no heaven, but there are pieces of it.”
(Jules Renard) If one is looking for those pieces, where do you suggest that they go? On the other hand, there may be those who think that this statement is theologically incorrect. Let them go into another room to continue their discussion. ;-) Jack


FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: "Heaven" is what each person considers it to be. The pieces of it can be found wherever we go, sometimes large pieces and sometimes small. As the poetic line from my childhood stated, "The world is so full of a number of things, I'm sure we should all be as happy as kings."

FROM MOLINER, G.S.: What did Luther say Christians were? Little Christs. Have you been a "little Christ" today?

FROM J.L. IN MICHIGAN: Oh my gosh....just look at a newborn baby and his mom and dad! There is Heaven on earth....or a little child's first snowfall! Or a woman's face when she gets her engagement ring...there are little bits of heaven whenever someone helps a stranger....I could go on and on.....blessings on this beautiful snowy day!

FROM P.O. IN MICHIGAN: I suggest they simply pay attention --- those pieces are everywhere!

FROM G.G. IN INDIANA: I'll be staying in the " heaven on earth" room. It's all around us, although my most recent siting was at the children's Christmas pageant at church. Angels, wisemen, shepherds, Holy family, etc. singing "Prepare ye the way of the Lord" and "Away in the Manger".......heavenly.

FROM REV J.S. IN MICHIGAN: "The Kingdom of Heaven is at hand!"

FROM EMT SINGS: I think my Mother would disagree with that. She claims that if there is a Heaven on earth she is in it. I agree with her as I think possibly this is what Heaven is like: No decisions, no worries and surrounded with love. So I suppose it is not Heaven but is like it. Sounds good to me!

MORE FROM EMT SINGS: Yes, I like it. I also very often think "My soul is restless until it rests with Thee" Can't remember who said that, but it often describes what I am feeling!

RESPONSE FROM JACK: St. Augustine said it.

FROM D.P. IN MINNESOTA: Go and stay with the Homeless for a few days and you'll find heaven when you go back home !

FROM M.N. IN MINNESOTA: I think there are lots of pieces of heaven on earth. Last Sunday the little kids sang in church—that is a big piece of heaven. Yesterday we went to Hilder Anderson Swenson’s 100th birthday party in St. Peter. Listening to her life story and her strong response (she still lives in her own home) was a piece of heaven. In fact—there are pieces of heaven all around us. All we need to do is open our eyes! And hearts and ears too!

FROM B.S. NEAR ORLANDO: Wow, how many choices do we have? l. being at Grandma's house?, 2. being in that hardwoods forest on NN in Kenosha, coun ty? 3 being in a 12 foot cartop fishing in Lake Geneva? 4. Having a cool beer and a candy bar on a hot day while threshing with Mel Carlson, 5. Listening to Colleen Andrews and Audrey Barber singing while in choir?", Thanks Jack, YOu have me crying, I forgot, camping and fishing with my family anywhere.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also believe there are pieces of heaven on earth. Conversion experiences are pieces. The Bible is filled with stories of pieces. All those people's relationships with Jesus are pieces. The question in my mind is why people in our contemporary churches seemingly have trouble witnessing to spiritual experiences, to heavenly experiences. There is a whole lot of media that is "out there" with it but the local church is more sedate and private about these experiences. Maybe there is fear other people will think them unbelievable.