Thursday, November 29, 2007

Jack’s Winning Words 11/29/07
“Who sees the human face correctly; the photographer, the mirror, or the painter?”
(Picasso) This is an interesting question to ask family and friends. What do I really look like? There’s a picture of me on the wall, and a painting, too. I look in the mirror every day. Which image is the real me? None of the above? What do you think? ;-) Jack


FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: Only one's eye observes a face image correctly, and then only for an instant. A blink, a twitch, a pursing of lips, all bring change to facial contours or features. Images by photography, mirror reflection, and painting are attained through the use of other tools (camera, silvered glass, artist's hand and brush), and each imposes variants from the genuine face being viewed. The camera lens distorts, the mirror delivers a reverse image, and the painter injects his/her personal touch regarding proportion and color. So I believe "none of the above" is the proper answer. Having said that, I would add that a captured image is never permanent anyway, because a person responds to moods, and one's smiling face can quickly change to dour or pouting. Any image is just an instant in a continuum of time.

FROM T.B. IN MICHIGAN: A photo of you will not do you justice. With all your knowledge and insight only knowing you will give the correct picture.

FROM B.G. IN MICHIGAN: This WW reminds me of a line from the U2 song-City of Blinding Lights. It goes like this, "Don't look before you laugh...Look ugly in a photograph." What I like about this lyric is that it reminds us not to look around to see how other people are going to perceive us doing whatever it is we're doing. If you feel like laughing when you're getting your photograph taken, go for it! Who sees the human face correctly? It depends a lot on us, I think.

FROM MOLINER, G.S.: You are what you think others think you are. Hm..................................................

FROM GOOD DEBT JON IN OHIO: Probably only our maker can really know what he intended. I was lucky enough to marry a near-sighted gal. I am not sure who sees faces “correctly” but I am pretty sure the video camera is the most critical. Just ask any Fred Thompson supporter that saw him on CNN last night. When they turned the camera on him, my 12 year old daughter blurted out, “Oh my, who’s the old guy?” My kid’s like Huckabee and Obama. Maybe a positive message is best?

FROM J.S. IN MICHIGAN: We have a family painting done when our kids were young. I actually look pretty good in that one. I want them to tear up all of m photos and just keep that painting. The painter lied a bit....and wouldn't it be nice if that were the truth?

FROM L.H. IN FLORIDA: I think the real image is on the inside and only you know the real person. Just look at the politicians; they create an image that is usually quite different from who and what they are.

FROM J.C. IN HONG KONG: I vote for "all of the above".

FROM K.B. IN MICHIGAN: i just read an interesting little piece of fantasy fiction called Spellbound--that is the question it really addresses

CORRECTION FROM K.B.: The name of the book I referred to yesterday--was GARDEN SPELLS not SPELLBOUND

FROM C.S. IN MICHIGAN: The painter of course;do we ever see large photos over the mantel? no, we see painted portraits! A little bias here of course.

FROM D.P. IN MINNESOTA: Only God.

FROM J.T. IN MINNESOTA: Going to the mailbox one day was an eye-opener. At a Synod Assembly I had my photograph taken for a pictorial directory. When I opened an envelope from the photograph company addressed to me, enclosed was a photograph of some pastor (unknown to me) 30 years younger! Those One-a-Day vitamins work wonders!

FROM B.S. NEAR ORLANDO: I think the portrait painter, "El Pintor", the portraits I have seen are remarkable, how ever in some cases I never knew the person b-4 the painting, However, how can a photo be different, except in time sequence, alas, so is the portrait, . I should have kept my mouth shut.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is a perplexing Winning Words, Pastor Freed. I'm tempted to vote for "none of the above." Since we are made in the image of God and we can't make an image of God I wonder if this impossible quandry stems from what's at the bottom of Picasso's Winning Words also. He certainly tried his best to see the human face correctly. And when I look at his faces they seem all cockeyed.

Anonymous said...

I'll vote for the mirror...although it isn't something I necessarily I enjoy because I see myself age everday!

Anonymous said...

All of them; plus the one's not yet seen and/or named. I suggest we are much more than we've ever come to know. Hence, we need to continue to "seek" and "we shall find".