Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Jack’s Winning Words 11/28/07
“Keep ya head up, oooo child things are gonna get easier; oooo things are gonna get brighter.”
(Tupac Shakur) You probably never thought that I’d be quoting a rapper, but I’m a positive thinker, and these words “fit in.” They’re an example of Shakur’s softer side, an example of a deeper rap song. Look at the world around you…Things are gonna get brighter! ;-) Jack


FROM PR J.S. IN MICHIGAN: They will if we can get rid of GW and elect Obama!!!

FROM S.H. IN MICHIGAN: Tupac has some interesting songs. Some of them I've listened to are laced with religious kind of language, Hail, Mary, and so forth. I've watched several of the videos made of his life and believe his music is one of the voices of our time. In all the mix of his expressing feelings and thoughts, he actually seemed to be trying to sort out an honest relationship with his mother which, as a mother myself, I appreciated. Always had the impression he was trying to be true to what was in him and I wonder if today's Winning Words were inherited from what his mother might have said to him at one time. I'm optimistic, too, and wouldn't be at all surprised if he is in heaven now.

FROM N.G. IN MICHIGAN: Actually he was remixing a song from the 60"s. I don't remember the name, but as I read the quote I started singing along. I think it was from the Associations.
It is true - I didn't expect to see you quote a rapper. You are just too HIP!!!!!


FROM GOOD DEBT JON IN OHIO: I don’t have time to research this right now, but I think (am sure) this is an old Motown Hit. It goes on, “Someday we’re gonna walk in the ray of a beautiful sun, someday the world will be brighter….”

MORE FROM GOOD DEBT JON: Song by The Five Stair Steps, Motown. Ooh child by the Five Stairsteps song was covered by lots of different people (including Tupac)
Ooh-oo child Things are gonna get easier Ooh-oo child Things'll get brighter Ooh-oo child Things are gonna get easier Ooh-oo child Things'll get brighter Some day, yeah We'll get it together and we'll get it all doneS ome day When your head is much lighter Some day, yeah We'll walk in the rays of a beautiful sun Some day When the world is much brighter Ooh-oo child Things are gonna be easier Ooh-oo child Things'll get be brighter Ooh-oo child Things are gonna be easier Ooh-oo child Things'll get be brighter Some day, yeah We'll get it together and we'll get it all done Some day When your head is much lighter Some day, yeah We'll walk in the rays of a beautiful sun Some day When the world is much brighter Some day, yeah We'll get it together and we'll get it all done Some day When your head is much lighter Some day, yeah We'll walk in the rays of a beautiful sun Some day When the world is much brighter Ooh-oo child Things are gonna get easier Ooh-oo child Things'll get brighter Ooh-oo child Things are gonna get easier Ooh-oo child Things'll get brighter Right now, right now

AND MORE FROM JON: http://gdbd.com/sound2/five_stairsteps_-_ooh_ooh_child_email.htm

FROM D.R. IN MICHIGAN: The line is also an example of history repeating it’s self. That was from a song by The Five Stairsteps in 1970 called “Ooh Child”.

FROM PR B.G. IN MICHIGAN: Brighter, indeed! The people who walked in deep darkness have seen a great light...Things are gonna get brighter during this Advent season.

FROM B.C. IN ILLINOIS: Made me smile in part, because it's not really a Tupac song…. it was released in 1970 by the 5 Stairsteps, a soul group of teens that pre-dated Michael Jackson and the Jackson Five. I'm glad it got redone by Tupac and heard Destiny's Child did a cover too. My I feel old now!

FROM J.L. IN MICHIGAN: Well, today we need some brightness....it's cloudy and overcast. But "gray skies are goingn to clear up..put on a Happy Face!" Going shopping with my daughter and grandson!

FROM B.R. IN MICHIGAN: So you know I'm still alert, check out the original from the 60's by Nina Simone. Tupac must have plagiarized.


FROM M.L. IN ILLINOIS: it is the season of light, no matter the generation of tune. deck them halls and all that jazz!

FROM L.P. IN MOLINE: I was completely surprised to find "Oooohh Child" on a mix CD Gisela put together for me last summer-- the original '60s version. I have no idea how she knew I've loved it since I first heard it as a kid (a really young kid). Good stuff endures.

FROM P.O., JUST BACK FROM ISRAEL: I'm playing catch up with WW and other email. We returned from the Holy Land late Fri. night. It was a remarkable experience --- very 'layered' and it will take me a long time to process all we saw and heard. I hope that you and Tupac are right about things getting brighter. Right now I'm quite despondent about the Israeli occupation of Palestine, how that plays out for the 'everyday folk', and the prospects for any significant change.












1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've heard the old Motown version...but not the new one. I'll have to search for it to hear the difference in styles over the years.