Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Jack’s Winning Words 10/3/07
“If you’re bored, you aren’t paying attention.”
(Unknown) I like this one, because it’s a reminder to me that there’s stuff out there in the world that I should be noticing. When I get up from this PC, I’ll begin paying attention, and we shall see what we shall see. ;-) Jack

FROM GOOD DEBT JON IN OHIO: I’ve read a lot of 19th century books in the past few years and noticed the use of the word ennui in place of the modern version of boredom. Ennui seeps into the fringes of hopelessness along with boredom.
The more words we know the better we can sort, interpret, and share our world. Boredom (to me) seems like less of a linguistic threshold to reach than ennui—if you are paying attention.

MORE FROM JON: I think ennui is used to connote long term boredom, almost desperation. They have different uses; it was probably a bad comparison. It would be like the difference between a pre 1950’s conservative and what passes for (or is labeled) conservative today. They are totally different.
I’ll bore no further.

FROM K.B. IN MICHIGAN: I am so seldom bored that when I am I almost enjoy it.
Let me share with you a quote form someone's email signature that I find particularly thought provoking:
"Character is doing it when you don't want to..."

FROM C.B. IN MICHIGAN: It reminds me of when my girls were little. The few times they said they were bored, I'd reply, "Gosh that's too bad. It's up to you to use your imagination to not be bored." And I'd pick up the laundry or resume my task and let them own it. To this day, they don't watch t.v. and I don't think they are ever bored and believe me they aren't boring - they are great young women!

FROM MOLINER, G.S.: You're how old? I never thought of you as one who was ever bored - always doin', goin'. :-

FROM M.L. IN ILLINOIS: when my children were young and bored, there was always a floor to be scrubbed or some dusting to be done. they learned not to be outwardly bored pretty quickly!

FROM E.A. IN MICHIGAN: I'm only bored when I am sleeping.

FROM RETIRED PREACHER, C.R.: but, if you're paying attention and the preacher IS boring, then what?

FROM MOLINER, C.F.: And if you pay attention, you're liable to learn something to stave off future boredom,

FROM F.M. IN WISCONSIN: If you are bored, you aren't writing, talking, seeking, seeing, corresponding with other people . . . or with God!

FROM EMT SINGS: I could not agree more. That is why one of my grandsons says to me, "Don't say 'isn't that interesting' one more time!" To me, there is not one thing that is not interesting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

boredom - state of being wearied; a condition of ennui
ennui - weariness and dissatisfaction resulting from inactivity or lack of interest
When I get up from this PC, I'll begin paying attention too and we shall see what we shall see. Some of the stuff that we see in our different places of location is bound to be intersecting in some way. One connection has been already here in Unknown's Winning Words related to us by Pastor Freed. And also Pastor Freed's commentary.