Thursday, October 18, 2007

Jack’s Winning Words 10/18/07
Love is, or it ain’t. Thin love ain’t love at all.”
(Toni Morrison) What is your definition of love? Better yet, do you have a definition of “thin” love? I’ve never heard the expression before, but my mind knows what it means. Ladies Home Journal named Toni one of the 30 most powerful women in America. She was born in Ohio, and was named Chloe. In college she became Toni. Chloe reminds me of Spike Jones. ;-) Jack

FROM GOOD DEBT JON: Thin love is love that is not deep or lasting. Thin love is weak and porous, you can see through it. Thin love keeps its options open—solid love endures. Solid love stands the test of time and you cannot see through it—you just know it will be there. Thin love is self-interested. Solid love is wanting the best for the one you love because they want the best for you. Fortunately, for me, my wife of 24 years is my solid love. Solid love is when you can say, “I like me best when I am with you.”
See the lyrics to Ashford and Simpson’s song: Solid I saw a great TV interview with them a few years ago. One of the best husband and wife song writers and artists in the business.

ASHFORD AND SIMPSON'S SOLID: And for love’s sake, each mistake, ah, you forgaveAnd soon both of us learned to trustNot run away, it was no time to playWe build it up and build it up and build it upAnd now it’s solidSolid as a rockThat’s what this love isThat’s what we’ve got, oh, mmm…Solid (Oh)Solid as a rockAnd nothing’s changed it (Ooh)The thrill is still hot, hot, hot, hot, hot, hot, hot, hotOh…oh…oh…ah…You didn’t turn awayWhen the sky went graySomehow we managedWe had to stick together (Ooh…ooh…ooh…ooh…)You didn’t bat an eyeWhen I made you cryWe knew down the lineWe would make it better (Ooh…ooh…ooh…ooh…)And for love’s sake, each mistake, ah, you forgaveAnd soon both of us learned to trustNot run away, it was no time to playWe build it up and build it up and build it up

FROM M.L. IN ILLINOIS: i think some people come into the world with the ablility to fully love. others come still learning how to fully love, the intention is there but the ability is not. i think love is the unconditional kindness and caring part of one's spirit. the part that houses only positive-no negativity. love holds the most power and potential in the world-with it there is contentment, non-judgement, and peace. without it there is discontent, pain and conflict. maybe thin love is not opening the kind and caring part of the spirit to all.

FROM M.U. IN MICHIGAN: My definition of love is respect. Respect for everything that a person does and stands for. If we can't respect someone for who they are, what they do and how they treat others, the love we have for them is superficially "thin" and trivial.

FROM J.T. IN MICHIGAN: I like Toni Morrison. She had a rough life and developed a tough shell. A wonderful writer.It was good seeing you yesterday! Sorry I couldn't have a conversation with you.I walked into the libarary and there you were, sitting by the computer, smiling. What's it like to go from being a jailbird to poster boy???Do you take computer classes thru the libarary? If so, I''d like to know more about it.

FROM B.S. NEAR ORLANDO: -REPLY: Yes, yes, we agree. You either love a person,( or pet )(or object: house, garden,fishing) or you don't . This business of "thin love" is not really love. It may not always be gushy, but it should be persistant, and intense, and reliable. and these churches that don't send out some form of help, Ya, well, I shouldn't judge adversely. My Ma wouldn't like that

FROM M.H. IN MICHIGAN: I think that Toni is saying "Think love ain't love at all"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hard to define love, Pastor Freed. But it has to do with commitment, also sacrifice, also suffering and always hope for unity. Hard to define it but I know it when I see it. It's great when the binding together happens!!! Thin love probably wants the binding without the sacrifice, suffering, even the commitment.