Thursday, September 06, 2007

Jack’s Winning Words 9/6/07
“From our birthday, until we die, Is but the winking of an eye.”
(Yeats) Does anybody have a birthday today? Jeff Foxworthy, Sander Levin and Jo Anne Worley do. Isn’t amazing how fast the years go by? I once read that a blink happens in 4/10s of a second. That’s fast, but birthdays come and go at a faster pace. Is there one birthday occasion that stands out in your mind? ;-) Jack


FROM A.M. IN MICHIGAN: Enjoyed your Irish quote and how true it is. Many more happy, healthy returns of the day.

FROM J.L. IN MICHIGAN: Birthdays come and go "faster than a speeding bullet"! My standout birthday was my 50th. Gary surprised me with a trip to Idaho. That was a special state because earlier in the summer we had visited South Carolina, which was the 49th state I had actually visited. The last state I needed to visit was Idaho. So on my 50th birthday, I officially had visited all 50 states. We live in the most amazing, wonderful, beautiful and special country! God bless America!

FROM S.H. IN MICHIGAN: Just enjoying a memory, stirred by your Winning Words today. On one of my birthdays, somewhere just within the last 4 or 5 years, Brenda prepared a CD for me of music I always used to sing to her as a baby and music that she knew I liked all through the years and then the CD also had Marilyn Monroe singing happy birthday to J. F. Kennedy. It was just so amusing to realize that she even knew about Marilyn Monroe to lift that out of somewhere wherever she found it. Way before Brenda's time that's for sure. I imagine people all over e-mail land are reliving memories. Is it your birthday yet today?

FROM FORMER MOLINER, S.G.: If this is your birthday, happy birthday. When I celebrated mine in August, I thought it was just a family occasion because everyone was coming in and we are a large group with the eighteen grandchildren and parents. But.lo and behold. after breakfast together and church, when we arrived home the house was filled with friends and relatives from the years past-friends and relatives from Moline, a friend from Marycrest, a couple we were newly weds with in Nassau, the nuns from church, and friends from Tampa, of course. I was surprised that everyone kept the secret for so long-even the four year olds. So, two days after that my 2001 Buick Century was totaled at midnight while parked in the driveway of a gated community in Orlando, I took my 21 ad 19 year old grandsons to Hawaii before they went back to college- Gettysburg and Georgetown, and now I have just had a very interesting experience of buying a new car. So, here I am, rambling again, putting off some errands. Anyway, happy birthday again.
PS God has a very interesting way to keep our minds active.


FROM F.M. IN WISCONSIN: What a great word and how true. I go though my address book and think of how many friends I have . . . and connect an event / experience with each one.

MORE FROM F.M.: Mine is the 7th of December - I will never forget my 15th birthday - 12/07/41.

FROM MOLINER, C.F.: For some people, it is a fast blink. I'm looking for a slow wink.

FROM PALEONTOLOGIST NORM IN INDIANAPOLIS: good quote when you talk about dinosaurs all day which are 65 to 250 million years old.

FROM JACK AND DONNA: Yes, John Harold Freed has a birthday today! The Psalmist wrote" Seventy years are given us, and some may even live to eighty" (The Living Bible). In his "Popular Commentary", Paul Kretzman commented on Ps. 90:10: "...if a man possesses unusual vitality, they may be fourscore." We all recognize the unusual vitality the Lord has given you to get up before the crack of dawn to send us Winning Words. We wish you many more years of unusual vitality!

FROM THE J.C. FAMILY IN HONG KONG: Evin, Rachel and I would like to wish you a very happy and love-filled 80th birthday. May God continue to bless your family and ministry, and may the Tigers keep winning.

FROM R.S. IN ARIZONA: What a surprise to turn online computer this morning and see the message from you and the message from the Trethrways. I joined them In Wishing You a Happy Birthday This day is special for you but it is also special for us, for it marks our 54th wedding anniversary. September 6 gives us a lot of things in common.

FROM DAUGHTER JLF, VACATIONING IN THE WASHINGTON MOUNTAINS: Happy Birthday!! There is no phone service here, but there is internet service - so hopefully you receive this message. I have been thinking about you today. I'm sorry to miss your birthday celebration, but I know you'll have a nice day with everyone. The weather is great, the views are spectacular. Hope your birthday is the best.

FROM G.G. IN INDIANA: My 50th.....after working at the Lake County Fair (Sammies/"Cheeseburgers in Paradise") all day with friends and several family members I swam (skinny-dipped) in Grayslake ...under a "Blue Moon" with my 19 year old niece Beth and 24 year old daughter Emily. Very Cool !! I'M GUESSING IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY .....any lakes nearby?

FROM J.T. IN MICHIGAN: Hope you had a nice day along with Foxworthy, Levin & Worley. I share my day with Lyndon Johnson. Mo shares her with Hitler.

FROM B.S. NEAR ORLANDO: since you asked, yes. after the war we finally had some money in our family and my mother organized a b irthday party and invited some of my friends for my party. Well that meant cleaning the house, and cleaning the basement, and polishing the silver ware. Wow, what an event until Bill Ryan decided to clown around with the cake, and he droped it, plop, on the basement floor. Talk about silence, you could have heard a pin drop. Well two people moved: my mother towards Bill Ryan, and me to get between them. Bill apologized. and I scraped up the cake and scraped the frosting off, and we had cake minus the frosting. Hey, things happen. Bill and I remained friends for a long time. Ma and Bill were reconcilled. Monty and Ann saved the day by starting a sing fest. It worked.

FROM N.C. IN ILLINOIS: I remember my birthday when there was a party between our house and Wilbur's. I guess that was my favorite.





No comments: