Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Jack’s Winning Words 9/4/07
“Education is learning what you didn’t even know you didn’t know.”
(Daniel Boorstin) Today is the day when many children and college students return to the classroom to learn new things. I can remember the thrill of having a new idea come into my mind. 6th Grade was my favorite in elementary school. Philosophy was my favorite subject in college. Plato influenced me. What did education do for you? ;-) Jack


FROM J.L. IN MICHIGAN: My biggest blessing from school... learning to read....my favorite past time. I loved geography; reading about places and people and travel. We still love to travel and have been to all 50 states, most of them numerous times! (heading to North Carolina Saturday.) I loved the sports programs and loved the friends I made there. My high school years were the best!

FROM M.L. IN ILLINOIS (A PRE-SCHOOL TEACHER): it brought me back to the beginning. today is my first day of pre-school. let's say a prayer for all of those little ones today!

FROM M.E. IN MICHIGAN: Philosophy was almost my favorite course in college...it is still my favorite subject to read. Have you read any of the books by Dalai Lama, Gary Zukav, Edgar Cayce or Deepak Chopra?

FROM EMT SINGS: Hi! I loved school. Truly, everything is interesting to me. In fact, one of my grandsons said to me, "Grandma, please don't say 'isn't that interesting?' one more time!" Last Sunday I went to the Science Center with my daughter, Kristi and granddaughter, Mariah to see Our Body, The Universe Within. Now, THAT was really interesting! The beginning of school became a very poignant time for me as that was when my kids truly became a year older. And I could hardly bear it. Now the cycle starts all over again. Last night I called their kids to wish them a good first day of school. The sweetness and dearness of life sometimes overwhelms me. And fortunately, my kids still humor with the stories that I told them those years ago when they were my captive audience in the car as I drove them to and from activities. Life is good.

FROM MOLINER, G.S.: Jack, here's one for you concerning college girls:
A Freshman knows not, and knows not that she knows not.
A Sophomore knows not, and knows that she knows not.
A Junior knows, and she knows not that she knows.
A Senior knows, and she knows that she knows!


FROM C.H. ON CAPE COD: On the other hand:
What I learned is from my grandmother and what she taught me is this:
"Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught" - Oscar Wilde.


FROM GOOD DEBT JON: Education, to me, is learning to learn—a lifelong process. Mrs. Palmer in sixth grade taught me to investigate with the five W’s, who, what, when, where, and why. This works for a PhD dissertation or a sixth grade report on Chile.

FROM G.G. IN INDIANA: 4th grade...fractions....loved them. 7th grade ...explorers/social studies...loved it. What I remember about 6th grade is my teacher....Miss McCabe ....arthritis had disfigured her fingers but she had the most beautiful handwriting on the chalk board (yellow chalk). That was also the year my brother Joe refinished a used pair of snow skis for my Christmas present. He was so excited to give them to me!

FROM B.S. NEAR ORLANDO: education brought me out of poverty and into an exciting new world.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Education was never a disappointment to me. It fosters for me a philosophy of treasuring others for their contributions and learning from them. A lot of things can be taken away from a person but their education can't be taken away unless their mental health deteriorates.

Anonymous said...

And even with deteriorating health, who's to say what part education plays in helping that individual to cope amid all their ongoing relationships.