Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Jack’s Winning Words 7/3/07
“To do my best and play my part, American in mind and heart. To serve the flag and bravely stand To guard the glory of my land. To be American in deed: God grant me strength to keep this creed.”
(Edgar A. Guest) EAG worked for the Detroit Free Press and came up with some 8000 daily writings similar to this. He was known as The People’s Poet. Have a safe Independence Day, and Fly the Flag. ;-) Jack


FROM D.L. IN MICHIGAN: Our flag is up!

FROM M.N. IN MINNESOTA: My flag is flying high, but woe be to us if we dare to fly a flag in our church!!! I sure don’t understand that one. I was told it may offend someone—I told them it offended me that I could not fly it. Guess I don’t count as much as those who are offended by AMERICA!!!

FROM C.R. IN MICHIGAN: ......upside down..... Which denotes a U.S. distress call. Have a Contemplative 4th

FROM L.K. IN OHIO: We have a very large "old glory" unfurled...the neighborhood began their annual, and nightly, fireworks ritual last Saturday (always starts the Saturday before the 4th, and continues every night through the 4th.......)........lasts from 11:30pm-12:30am. Those not "into it" either "bear up" somehow or leave town. Gets folks of all ages. The local police come by to watch. It is highly illegal, while spectacular.
Sad that most of my "blue state" friends say they aren't proud to fly the flag on the 4th. Also sad that some of my "red state" friends don't understand the reluctance.....takes all of us in the world, right ?

FROM P.O. WHO'S VISITING IN PRAGUE: We are observing the 4th of July in Prague. You probably have been here and already know that it's a beautiful city. I can see myself returning a couple of times to try and explore every nook and cranny. The weather is very cool and frequently rainy which puts a bit of a damper on sightseeing, but there are also plenty of indoor activities. Last night we saw a marionette performance of Don Giovanni, followed by an organ concert in one of the cathedrals. We've had a couple of close encounters with pickpockets during 'rush hour' on the subways, but have managed to retain our worldly possessions.

FROM B.S. NEAR ORLANDO: Thank the Good Lord for people like Edgar Guest. In humble gratitude for him we shoulod fly the flag upside down, untill, Americans stop driving gas guzzlers, and start car pooling to church and other places. We are responsible for the world's problems and unfortunately too many people don't give a damn. I wonder if our preacher isc going to give the congregation hell this AM, and at all sermons. If we don't straighten out the entire world is going to experience some special kind of hell

B.S. FOLLOW UP: Hi, I got there in time, the conductor started the service on time, and I was there. I sat with some chickies my age. Our Pastor had the day off and a lovely preacher by the name of Julie Taylor who is in charge of the Sunday School I think gave the sermon, ( we have over 650 people in our Sun day School )not the assistant pastor who is also a lady.> My problem is I could not hear her sermon. She dropped about every 4th word. So I asked the lady next to me what she understood and she said, she could not hear her either. Let me explain it another way. My grandaughter Lillie wants to tell me a secret, so she whispers in my ear. I cannot hear whispers in my left ear at all, and very poorly in my right ear, so Lillie ends up shouting, and this is no longer a secret. A male voice I can hear. So, I got absolutely nothing from the sermon, except that this very lovely lady had lovely smiles. I was hoping the sermon was about global warming and people in our congregation had better start car pooling, or riding their bikes to church and everywhere. Not a word about how the members of our congregation are responsible for the global warming that is endangering so many species of fauna and flora on our globe, including ourselves.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You too, Pastor Freed. Have a safe Independence Day. When I think of being American I think of being a land welcoming all sorts of people coming from adverse situations where we all need to "start again." I'm thankful that it now seems that we also welcome the Native Americans and are better integrating their culture in "the start again American culture."