Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Jack’s Winning Words 7/17/07
“Never give up on anybody.”
(Hubert Horatio Humphrey) The voters gave up on him. It’s difficult to convince the hoi poloi (the common herd, and others, too) that there’s value in every soul. That’s the meaning of the amazing theological term, grace. Let’s take a vote. How many of you agree with Hubert? ;-) Jack


FROM L.K. IN OHIO: I liked Hubert lots. He even waved at me from his limo passing through an intersection near the White House back when.......

MORE FROM L.K.: While I disagreed with him on many issues, his attitude was healthy and constructive. He was secure in himself, a rare commodity then and certainly now.

AND STILL MORE FROM L.K.: I don't know how happy Hubert may have been, but he had a cheerful public countenance that, I think, wasn't fake.

FROM J.&G.L. IN MICHIGAN: I totally agree with him. Never give up on anyone! That is our "duty" as Christians. Where would we be if God gave up on us??? Noah would never had had to build the Ark!

FROM REV.J.S. IN MICHIGAN: Did Bonhoeffer give up on Hitler????

FROM J.T. IN MICHIGAN: I alway think of a friend who has an adult child who has fought alcohol addiction for @20 years. Mom says "never give up, where there's life there's hope." Do we all have things in our lives when we don't give up on someone!

FROM GOOD DEBT JON IN OHIO: I remember HHH barely (I am 50). I recall him from my youth as pale and uninspiring, reminding me of John McCain (R-AZ). While he had a few memorable one liners and ideas, he was unable to sustain the public’s interest with his ideas, sadly the hoi poloi still get to vote. Humphrey according to some online sources was a great starter, but a poor finisher (he did not complete his PhD thesis either). In the end cancer tragically ended his effort. My mother was a big Humphrey fan (she died a month before HHH) we lived in NW Wisconsin near the Minnesota. HHH was big time anti-war before it was popular—today his message would be well received. In a public endeavor I don’t believe you can honestly say the public gives up on a candidate or even product. There is competition in the market of ideas too. It is always up to the promoter or politician to generate the heat and the interest—that is McCain’s problem (as his campaign nears room temperature) and my opinion of the former Presidential efforts of Humphrey.

FROM P.O. IN MICHIGAN: I have to confess that while I agree with it on an 'intellectual' level, I'm still working on actually accomplishing it.

FROM J.T. IN ILLINOIS: One vote for 100% agreement. Never, Never give up.

FROM MOLINER, G.S.: Jack, read the book, Never.

FROM A.M. IN MICHIGAN: For sure, I agree. Sometimes it is difficult.

FROM F.M. IN WISCONSIN: You and Hubert have my vote!

FROM J.O. IN MICHIGAN: I like to think that I don't give up on anyone, but some people really make you work...

FROM GG IN INDIANA: Hubert's got my vote.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree. However, that is so much easier said than done.