Monday, July 16, 2007

Jack’s Winning Words 7/16/07
“A gentle word, a kind look and a good-natured smile can work wonders and accomplish miracles.”
(William Hazlitt) Hazlitt was an English writer , born in 1778.. He formed his own religious denomination, The Ultracrepidarians, made up of people who gave opinions beyond their knowledge. Do you think that there are still people like that today? Regardless, I think that his quote for today is a good one. ;-) Jack


MORE FROM JACK: Hazlitt described himself as “a good hater.

FROM L.K. IN OHIO: Why, Jack, now that you refer to this, I myself am a " card carrying" member,ha!

FROM GOOD DEBT JON IN OHIO: http://www.worldwidewords.org/weirdwords/ww-ult1.htm
Origin of the word Ultracrepidarian which includes your friend Hazlitt.


MORE FROM JON: Perhaps a distant relative, (born 106 years later) Henry Hazlitt (1894-1993), was famous for clear thinking on economics—rather than encouraging opinions beyond knowledge. He was hailed by H.L. Mencken as, “the one economist that can actually write and think.” He had a long career at the New York Times, and his most famous book was Economics in One Lesson, which Hazlitt wrote while working at Newsweek. I need to leave now for an Ultracrepidarian meeting.

FROM P.O. IN MICHIGAN: Ultracrepidarians" --- now there's an interesting name that I've surely never heard of before.

FROM M.L. IN ILLINOIS: my mantra.

FROM JACK TO M.L.: Here's what I think you said....Here's what I think you said:
Mantra is a sound or set of sounds which mirror both our Source and the original movements of creation. It therefore has the unique power to bypass the chaos of our physical, emotional and mental movements and restore us to a state of pristine harmony.

FROM B.S. NEAR ORLANDO: Wow, that gent had a good sense of humor. My hats off to him. He must have had a good partner in life also. "ultracrepidarians " great. I must send this around the world. p.s. when you speak with the Good Lord, tell him gently, that we now have enough rain, and could he send it to the folks having fires.

FROM JACK TO B.S.: Maybe you should just say what you learned as a child:
RAIN, RAIN, GO AWAY; COME AGAIN SOME OTHER DAY!


FROM G.G. IN INDIANA: Good thing I never knew about this denomination. I'd probably qualify as a charter member.

FROM J.T. IN MICHIGAN: Would you like me to send you a list of Ultracrepidarians? Do you have enough room on your computer? (I guess if I were to be honest I could qualify for membership sometimes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is no question in my mind that there are people who give opinions beyond their knowledge. Politicians to name a few ...