Friday, July 13, 2007

Jack’s Winning Words 7/13/07
“Losing is no disgrace if you’ve given your best.”
(Jim Palmer) I saw J.P. throw out the first pitch at a Mud Hens game last night. He’s in baseball’s Hall of Fame. He won many more games than he lost, but he always gave his best. Jim is also famous for Jockey underwear ads. He gave all poster proceeds to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation. Let’s try to do our best today, in whatever way we can. ;-) Jack


FROM GOOD DEBT JON IN OHIO: Is winning when you haven’t given your best a disgrace?

JACK'S RESPONSE: I wouldn't call it a disgrace. We can't do our best ALL of time. That's part of being human. "All have sinned and fallen short...."

...AND GOOD DEBT JON'S REPLY: I started to fall short of even sending the response. You make a good point about ALL of the time. I was thinking along the lines of God’s Grace that gives us so many unmerited rewards. When you think about it, you don’t have to win in this country. Just being average in America is a pretty good prize.

FROM E.T. IN MICHIGAN: Speaking of baseball. Since my Mother has moved in with us we have had a renewed interest in it. She is an avid fan! From MN, her first love were the Twins. Now it is the Tigers (unless they are playing each other). On July 1st, our entire family (15 of us) surprised her by taking her to see the Twins play the Tigers at Comerica Park. Her first "live" game. Turned out to be a cooler evening than had been and less than exciting game than usual. But as the commercial says: "the event was priceless"!

FROM RJP IN FLORIDA: One of the most successful men I ever knew had a simple philosophy, " Show up, on time dressed to play."

FROM D.C. IN MICHIGAN: The only time I saw a Mud Hens game, Gretchen and I went to Toledo to see Mark Fidrych pitch. How come you went? To see Jim Palmer, I guess.

FROM G.G. IN INDIANA: I don't agree with Bobby Knight on some things but I do like what he said about this subject. "Anybody can have the will to win but what's more important is to have the will to prepare". (If my sister Mary reads this I'm sure she'll be shaking her head and laughing because of my sports knowledge !)....just for the record, I have no interest in seeing Bobby in Jockey or any other brand of underwear

FROM J.T. IN ILLINOIS: JP has always been one of my most favorites.

FROM L.K. IN OHIO: I've sent this to my son Steve. He is a staff pulmonologist, as well as pediatrician and internist, at OSU/Children's Hospitals. Cystic Fibrosis is his specialization.
When he was very young, we saw Palmer pitch lots in Baltimore.

FROM B.S. NEAR ORLANDO: The pay scale is better if you win, plus further progress is easier.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pastor Freed - My life is richer having met you. You are loved and respected by many. So there--you have to take it. Karen