Monday, June 04, 2007

Jack’s Winning Words 6/4/07
“Teaching is the greatest act of optimism.”
(Colleen Wilcox) With so much negativism in the world today, I think that it’s time for a week of quotes on developing a spirit of optimism. Most of us can remember teachers who’ve helped us build that spirit. Who comes to mind for you? As school ends for another year, let’s say a word of appreciation for our educators. ;-) Jack.


FROM D.S. IN MICHIGAN: Miss Koffernus, Speech teacher who confirmed with great enthusiam what I think I already knew - that I should major in specch and drama in college. She loved to teach and it was so apparent every day. I also loved to teach and when it started to change (19 yrs.) I decided to retire. Never wanted to feel negative about being in the classroom. Great teachers are the most important people in the world - thank God some people are just born to teach. I know some teachers who have been teaching for over 35 years and still love it every day.

REPLY TO D.S. BY JACK: It's an interesting tradition to refer to teachers as Miss, Mrs., Mr. In the religion business, more and more people are referring to their clergy by first names. I don't have a personal problem with it, but maybe it's an erosion of respect.

MORE FROM D.S.: I loved 'Mom' too much to have been called anything else. :-)

FROM GOOD DEBT JON IN OHIO: I am way behind on my MBA homework for today. Dr. Bashor is the generous and optimistic teacher; it is the student that is falling short presently.

FROM F.M. IN WISCONSIN: As I think back, I need to be very appreciative to my kindergarten teacher, my grade school teachers, those who were patient and taught me in Junior Hi, most of my high school teachers, and certainly my professors in college and seminary. They gave me so much - I hope that I have given to others some which I learned - from my teachers, from my study and reading, and from experience.

FROM J.S. IN MICHIGAN: I think I enjoyed teaching more than anything else in my ministry. I taught for three years at Augie (speech) while I was going to Seminary and also taught the Homiletics class for Art Arnold when he became acting President of the Sem after Mattson's death. I loved that and he wanted me to go on to get a degree and teach homiletics. I went to Purdue for a year of grad study but it was so boring. I'm glad of that because I loved being a parish pastor....(Just a few musings on teaching)....and I got in plenty of teaching in the parish. I always enjoyed teaching confirmation and never considered farming it out to lay people. It was too much fun. I also taught in our pre-school (creative dramatics) and we had an extensive adult education program which gave me plenty of opportunities. Lots of chances to be optimistic!!!

No comments: