Friday, June 29, 2007

Jack’s Winning Words 6/29/07
“I get up every morning determined to both change the world and to have one heck of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning the day difficult.”
(E.B. White) I keep a daily calendar by my computer. There are no notes on it for today, so I think I’ll just have a good time. Oops, I forgot about changing the world. ;-) Jack


FROM GOOD DEBT JON IN OHIO: The hard part for me is to realize making a better world starts with me. I am reminded today, by Jack, of the little poem in Samuel Smiles book, “Self Help” (circa 1859). “If every one would seeTo his own reformation,How very easilyYou might reform a nation.” Smiles continues: “It is, however, generally felt to be a far easier thing to reform the Church and the State than to reform the least of our own bad habits; and in such matters it is usually found more agreeable to our tastes, as it certainly is the common practice, to begin with our neighbours rather than with ourselves.” Amen

FROM R.I. IN BOSTON: Too many people are trying to change the world...that's why it's so messed up. Let's just care for it properly and treat it well.

You must be the change you want to see in the world.
Mahatma Gandhi

FROM M.L. IN ILLINOIS: having a good time with positive intention for all does change the world. live it up!

FROM J.L. IN MICHIGAN: You DO change the world by having a good time! There is nothing better than being greeted by a stranger with a big smile. You can change his/her day and a little tiny bit of world with with a smile. And of course, your smile makes your day better too!

FROM J.S. IN MICHIGAN: I have never been determined to change the world. There are times that I bump into it and then I might try but I have never cared about change just for the sake of change. When things are messed up, then it is time to think about change. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

FROM MOLINER D.S.: I like that one, Jack. But at my age, I have a hard time thinking about doing EITHER of them. Have a good weekend, and great July 4th. Bless our troops and our country.

FROM MOLINER, C.F.: All it takes is one phone call to upset the schedule.

Life is like an ever-shifting kaleidoscope - a slight change, and all patterns alter.
Sharon Salzberg

FROM C.H. ON CAPE COD: No notes on your calendar! How nice! And here I am on the 4th, in the church office! I will now ask myself: Am I having fun? Am I changing the world?
Trying to do a little bit of both! (in a small way) (I did have most of Monday and Tuesday off, hence working today)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's odd. I just realized, after reading your Winning Words, Pastor Freed, that it feels like I got up this morning, heck if I know, I just opened my eyes again and I was still here, and I know I will get determined to change the world as soon as the world presents the daily challenge to me that it needs some more changing again today. Tomorrow might be different.

Gardeners Know All the Dirt said...

Jack,

Thanks for the smile today--

Mary Anne