Monday, June 25, 2007

Jack’s Winning Words 6/25/07
“Don’t tell me how much you enjoyed this; tell me what you will do differently on Monday.”
(Peter Drucker) Perhaps you listened to a sermon yesterday or preached one. Maybe in your reading you came upon a profound thought. Is your life today going to be different today because of that? Doing things differently is: changing! ;-) Jack


ANDY OF MICHIGAN SENT THIS: I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Robert McCloskey

HERE'S A PROFOUND THOUGHT: Can the existence of a God beyond human comprehension be proved? (Stanley Fish in the NY Times)

FROM MOLINER, G.S.: I enjoyed Drucker's writing more than anyone else who lived in the 20th century.

MORE FROM G.S.: Jack, I would sit at breakfast for years and outline his books while eating. He had the most influence on my business, outside the writers of the Bible. I used to do research to verify his work and NEVER found him to be in error i.e. the stirrup led to the fuedal system of society in Europe. It got so that I just accepted what he wrote - in other words, Peter Drucker was my guru in management thought and practice. His seminal book, Management - Tasks, Responsibilities, Practices, is still on my computer desk shelf for use. It was written in 1973. I once wrote and invited him to come to the QCs from CA - didn't know how I was going to raise the $. But he was in his 80's and gracefully declined - a hand written note.

FROM J.L. IN MICHIGAN: Oh, that's that bad word again! Change! Sometimes it's so easy to go into a "change" mode. And sometimes I go kicking and screaming! Life constantly changes and yet, we'd like to keep things just as they are each day. We are so very comfortable with the "way things are" whether it's a matter of each daily routine or in our church routine. Today, I will see what I can do differently this Monday, just for the fun of it! I will do everything I can differently. I'll let you know what worked!!

FROM THE HYMN, ABIDE WITH ME: "Change and decay in all around I see; O thou who changest not, abide with me."

FROM P.O. IN MICHIGAN: Ohhh --- that scary 'C-word' again

FROM C.H. ON CAPE COD: This quote will work well for one of my financial stewardship sermons (or any kind of outreach/service emphasis)! :)

FROM G.G IN INDIANA: Reminds me of a quote from my daughter years ago after a date with a boyfriend who was trying to explain away something stupid that he had done. "Blah, blah, blah"
For myself, you have inspired me to practice some of my preaching today.....I will start with smiling at everyone I see.

YOU KNOW THIS ONE, DON'T YOU? It isn't any trouble Just to S-M-I-L-E It isn't any trouble Just to S-M-I-L-E So smile when you're in trouble, It will vanish like a bubble If you'll only take the trouble Just to S-M-I-L-E

G.G. RESPONDS....oh let the sun shine in, face it with a grin.
smilers never lose and frowners never win.
so let the sun shine in, face it with a grin.
open up your heart and let the sun shine in.

ANOTHER SMILE SONG (BY CHARLIE CHAPLIN): "Smile"Smile, though your heart is achingSmile, even though it's breakingWhen there are clouds in the skyYou'll get by...If you smileWith your fear and sorrowSmile and maybe tomorrowYou'll find that life is still worthwhile If you just...Light up your face with gladnessHide every trace of sadnessAlthough a tear may be ever so nearThat's the time you must keep on tryingSmile, what's the use of cryingYou'll find that life is still worthwhileIf you just...Smile, though your heart is achingSmile, even though it's breakingWhen there are clouds in the skyYou'll get by...If you smileThrough your fear and sorrowSmile and maybe tomorrowYou'll find that life is still worthwhileIf you just smile...That's the time you must keep on tryingSmile, what's the use of cryingYou'll find that life is still worthwhileIf you just smile

FROM MOLINER, J.T.: As we continue with a 6.7 Mil update building program at St. Paul I realized all I've done is pledge and attend. This may sound like enough,but at 75 I still have some energy left to participate in many projects. Pastor Marty say's "be active" and starting today, Monday, I will.

MORE FROM J.T.: The day got better. It started out when someone rear-ended me at a stop light in Bettendorf. No one hurt but a few $ damage.

FROM A.M. IN MICHIGAN: One addition to our lives in retirement is praying aloud before dinner. In addition to grace, we remember those who are ill, military, out of work, deceased, etc. It is so calming and we believe it is our task as elders to pray and praise God more often.
We often shorten the prayers when adults are with us -not eliminate. But the grandchildren hang in there listening and joining us. It is a good thing as Martha would say.

No comments: