Friday, June 22, 2007

Jack’s Winning Words 6/22/07
“Let us begin to see the true promise of our country, not as a melting pot, but as a kaleidoscope.”
(RFK) I grew up in a melting pot city. I now live in a neighborhood that’s becoming kaleidoscopic. Have you ever used a kaleidoscope? Do you happen to have one in your home? I think I’ll get one someday. ;-) Jack


OOPS: Wife Mary just showed me a small kaleidoscope that she received from our daughter. It's about the size of a pen. It's really neat.

FROM MLK, JR: We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now."

FROM GOOD DEBT JON IN OHIO: Some of the strongest metals are composites.

MORE FROM JON: The nonprofit, For Impact training was great. Met a lot of interesting people; a Jesuit Priest from Romania, I gave him a copy of the Romanian edition of my book, 2 college presidents, and many other interesting people (and their stories). Like a cord of three that is not easily broken, I think the diversity of America is one of its greatest strengths, it is too bad some on the right and the left keep wanting to separate and label. I could team up with my new friend from Romania, my mathematician from Senegal, and my accountant/project manager (a blonde female) from Appalachia and tackle or take over most any situation. This group is also pretty religiously diverse too; a Muslim, a Catholic, a Southern Baptist, and a Lutheran. A lot of talent lies in this combination.

FROM D.C. IN MICHIGAN: When my dad used to go to "conference" meetings--I think these were at New York Conference meetings when we lived in Braddock, PA, he always came back with a present for me. We lived there when I went to 3rd through 6th grades. Anyway, one year he brought me a kaleidoscope. I had it all through high school. But my favorite present was when he brought me a funny book Bible. The Old Testament was about an inch and a half thick, and was perfect bound, but the New Testament was hardly any thicker than a regular comic book, and was just stapled together I didn't have those books as long as I had the kaleidoscope, but I think I wore them out!

FROM M.L. IN ILLINOIS: i love the intention of a kaleidoscope country. my favorite color is rainbow. i have a few kaleidoscopes. one is a wooden one that sits on the table in our living room and i can change the objects inside that create the visual display. i wish i could as easily change the fears of people who have concerns about crayon box families/communities. have you ever heard pete seeger's song about a rainbow world? i bet he likes kaleidoscopes.

PETE SEEGER'S SONG: MY RAINBOW RACE Chorus:One blue sky above usOne ocean lapping all our shore One earth so green and round Who could ask for more And because I love you I'll give it one more try To show my rainbow race It's too soon to die. 1. Some folks want to be like an ostrich, Bury their heads in the sand. Some hope that plastic dreams Can unclench all those greedy hands. Some hope to take the easy way: Poisons, bombs. They think we need 'em. Don't you know you can't kill all the unbelievers ?There's no shortcut to freedom.(Repeat chorus) 2. Go tell, go tell all the little children. Tell all the mothers and fathers too. Now's our last chance to learn to share What's been given to me and you. (Repeat chorus one and a half times) Words and Music by Pete Seeger (1967)

FROM B.C. IN ILLINOIS: Tim's first gift to me and one of the best that's withstood the test of time. We have 3-4 art kaleidoscopes with blown glass interchangeable wheels - very fancy stuff. When the chiildren were sick or "down" we'd let them come into our bed and just stare through the scope at the window and relax. A great toy and conversation piece.

FROM F.M. IN WISCONSIN: Yes, I have used a kaleidoscope, but we don't have one anymore. There are some real fancy ones. One of the fascinations with kaleidoscopes is that there is constant change, and some beauty in each of the multitude of changes,

No comments: