Monday, June 11, 2007

Jack’s Winning Words 6/11/07
“When an old person dies, a library is lost.”
(Unknown) Seek out some older person today and see if there’s something you can learn. It might even be a stranger. There are some interesting books out there. Tell me what you learn, and I’ll blog it. ;-) Jack


FROM S.H. IN MICHIGAN: Alice has been in the hospital for 5 or 6 days now. Visited her again yesterday. She is not very alert, her skin feels pretty cold. Spent the time praying at her side and also talking to her, everything in me was wanting to feel the most complete of blessed unions with her while she is yet still living, hoping against all hope that we are in fact together now in some very clear fashion that we will also be together "on the other side." I know and trust that God is hearing my prayers and responding to them, hears Alice's prayers and is responding to them but sometimes when I hear another "take" on things wonder about my sanity and the posssible foolishness of my longings. When Alice does die, her last chapter won't be closed for me but continuing on and my memories of her will always be twinged with this beggarly plea to God to intervene and bring us the closest together as possible while we are both still living. That we will also be the closest together as possible, perfectly close together, in our new lives in heaven. Alice, herself, is teaching me to know how dependent we both are on God.

FROM EUNICE IN MICHIGAN: Living with my almost 95 year old Mother makes me truly know what you are talking about and I could not agree more! We have many wonderful conversations. On Wed. we are hosting a "Lutheran luncheon" for the Bible Study group that I go to every Wed. morning. It is a great group that has taken my Mother to their heart. She sees them in church on Sunday mornings and they have made her feel so welcome, so I thought this would be a fun thing to do with her. It is all tongue in cheek, of course and I am having lots of fun planning it. On Friday her two sisters, one sister in law and a niece are coming from MN and AZ to spend a week. I think it is very important for these old siblings to get together. And to what better place, Rick thinks we need to get a nursing home license!

FROM B.S. NEAR ORLANDO: How true, there are so many questions I would like to ask my Ma. When Irene did all thatwork on her Geneaology, she said, she wished that som e of these people were still alive so she could ask them directly, questions.

FROM MOLINER, G.S.: Hey!! Maybe someone might think that I have value.

FROM L.K. IN OHIO: When a baby is born, a new library comes into being.

FROM C.P. IN WISCONSIN: Back in October 2005- a friend of mine Diane and I started the Oncology Alliance Angel program where I work. We recruit people at work to volunteer a minimum of one hour per week with hospice patients. I have had a wonderful opportunity to meet strangers. Currently I visit 3 people each week.
My first patient is Henry-he is 80 years old and has Alzheimers. He lives with his wife Gloria and I go there to provide respite care so his wife can get out. Henry can't talk but he enjoys my visits. I tell him jokes from the Readers Digest and we listen to music.
My second patient is Florence. She just turned 91. In one of her eyes-she has 20/20 vision.
She is completely with it-I learn alot from her. Sometimes we cook dinner together and her favorite thing to do is go to the Hallmark store and buy cards for her family and friends.
She has a great faith and it is interesting to listen to her stories and great memories.
My third patient is Lawrence. He and his wife have been married for 76 years. They live in a group home. He used to be a music conductor and a teacher. Lawrence has a great faith and loves to read the Bible. I help write letters for Lawrence and his wife. I have learned so much from these people who were initially strangers but now are like family. They are coming close to the end of their lives here on earth but it's inspiring to see their faith and to know that we have much to look forward to when we leave this earth and have life eternal with our Heavenly Father.


FROM C.S. IN WISCONSIN: I really liked the one about when an older person dies, a library is lost!
I think of the wonderful things my mother had committed to memory that she learned as a child in school. How she kept track of family members birthdays and anniversaries and also of those of many friends. She also was a great source for good family history. I often marvel at what my grandparents and parents saw happen in their lifetime and wonder what will be for our grandchildren. Good thoughts to ponder.

No comments: