Monday, May 07, 2007

Jack’s Winning Words 5/7/07
“The hour of my departure has arrived, and we go our ways…I to die and you to live. Which is better, God only knows.”
(Socrates) Socrates lived over 400 years BC, so his view of death and dying represented his Greek philosophical thinking. Even today, dying and death are a mystery, and what happens afterward, is a matter of faith. Yesterday I received a call telling me that a friend had “passed.” It is better. ;-) Jack



FROM M.L. IN ILLINOIS: perhaps better, but never easy for those left behind. i am sorry for your loss.

FROM L.P. IN MICHIGAN: I like Socrates phrasing. Last week my grandpa received news that his brother died. This leaves my grandpa as the last of that generation. I believe there were 8 siblings. I think this has been hardest on him that his sisters and brothers are gone. He told my grandma now he was all alone. She said "no you're not. you've got your wife!" I guess it's good to remember what is here for us in this part of the journey.

FROM REV. P.H. IN MINNESOTA: Wow, I didn't know old Soc was such a man of faith!

FROM GOOD DEBT JON IN OHIO: Over the weekend my adopted father, A.C. Bennett, passed away (my son is named after him). He was born in 1911 and had been a good friend and father figure to me since my father died when I was age 10 (1968). Jack, this is the gentleman I talk about as “Buck” in chapter five of my book. He had a tremendous positive effect on my life. There is an old African proverb that I can only paraphrase, “When a village elder dies, it is like an entire library has been lost.” Buck was my window into 95 years of the past... obviously history has not ended, but my vivid, living window to the past has gone dark.
P.S. I know you are right, it is better. . Maybe in a few days I can say it is better. Today I wallow in my human selfishness, I miss my friend.

MORE FROM JON: I hope I can say something at the service with words, and not just sob like a big baby. I had on my original six book plan a book on how to write a eulogy. I am not sure Eulogies for Dummies is a definable market. We have to remember what Johnny Carson said with a tear in his eye eulogizing John Matters, (the original Human Cannon Ball for Barnum & Bailey), “We’ll never find a guy of that caliber again.” That’s how I feel about Buck.

FROM B.S. NEAR ORLANDO: Hi, I know, and I am anxious to see my brother and my father and mother. and all my uncles and aunts. I will grow some squash for my mother, and make dinner for her. I will go fishing with my brother and father and go camping, and make dinner for them.I'll pick red raspberries with Aunt Laura and give her and Unc John a ride on the hay wagon with Dick and Ben pulling the wagon. It's interesting how one remembers the nice things of the past and forgets the difficult days. But I think we are better people because of the difficult times as well as the good times. My mother caught her arm in the Magtag wringer wash machine. Lucky my brother positioned it right beneath the light fixture and taugh Ma how to quickly pull the chain, and hit the release button on the wringer. I wonder now how much farther in life I would have achieved if I were as bright as brother John? When he passed away different people from Snap on came to the showing and many told me how bright he was and what a diference he made at Snap On. I knew he was good, but not how good. I credit the qualities in our children from the DNA we shared and I offered to them in combo with Irene's, it's no wonder our children have done such a great job in life so far.


FROM REV. J.S. IN MICHIGAN: "What happens afterward" is clearly not a matter of faith. It is a matter of God's Will. You can believe all you want but if God wills you to be dead, you will not live. And you cannot believe if you so choose but if God wills you to live, you will live...and probably be amused that you were so incredibly wrong during your other life!!! I am putting my hope in God. I am not immortal...but I may be resurrected.

FROM L.K. IN OHIO: I believe, as long as you have a grateful heart, 'tis much better to live, whatever the promise about the hereafter.

FROM B.S. NEAR ORLANDO: HI, sorry, I have toooo many things not finished. I can't leave just yet. My grandchildren need further motivation to be better citizens. This is so important. They will be the solution to this less than perfect world. Our Hannah is going to study business in a big school, our Natalie is studying in a big school. Our world has hope, we have hope, we have a future.

FROM S.H. IN MICHIGAN: I'm sorry your friend "passed". It's hard to miss people when they die. I hope Socrates is with God and will be greeting us when we get to heaven. I hope his departure ended up finally better than he ever maybe exected that it would.

J.F. IN NOVA SCOTIA CALLED MY ATTENTION TO THIS ONE
Tie Me Kangaroo Down SportRolf HarrisWords and Music by Rolf Harris- peak Billboard position # 3 in 1963SPOKEN: There's an old Australian stockman lying, dying. He gets himself up onto one elbow and 'e turns to his mates, who are all gathered around and 'e says:Watch me wallabies feed, mateWatch me wallabies feed,They're a dangerous breed, mateSo watch me wallabies feedAltogether now!CHORUS:Tie me kangaroo down, sportTie me kangaroo downTie me kangaroo down, sportTie me kangaroo downKeep me cockatoo cool, Curl,Keep me cockatoo coolAh, don't go acting the fool, CurlJust keep me cockatoo coolAltogether now!(CHORUS)'n' take me koala back, JackTake me koala backHe lives somewhere out on the track, MacSo take me koala backAltogether now!(CHORUS)Let me abos go loose, LewLet me abos go looseThey're of no further use, LewSo let me abos go looseAltogether now!(CHORUS)And mind me platypus duck, BillMind me platypus duckAh, don't let 'im go running amok, BillJust mind me platypus duckAltogether now!(CHORUS)Play your didgeridoo, BluePlay your didgeridooAh, like, keep playin' 'til I shoot thru, BluePlay your didgeridooAltogether now!(CHORUS)Tan me hide when I'm dead, FredTan me hide when I'm deadSo we tanned his hide when he died, ClydeAnd that's it hangin' on the shed!!Altogether now!(CHORUS)


No comments: