Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Jack’s Winning Words 4/11/07
“Every time you spend money, you’re casting a vote for the kind of world you want.”
(Anna Lappe) Lappe is an advocate for social change. Today I bought a Happy Meal at McDonald’s. Yesterday I paid our Income Tax, bought some groceries and a tank of gasoline ($2.75.9). There are charity requests on the desk, too. I guess that we all could do a better job at casting our votes. ;-) Jack

FROM ENGINEER DAZ: Why is that principle so hard for some people to grasp?

FROM GOOD DEBT JON IN OHIO: I increased the value of my car by $50 yesterday—I filled the gas tank. Apparently I vote almost daily for more Starbucks in the world, at least $1.85 a day in voting.

FROM REV. J.S. IN MICHIGAN: No one should ever feel remorse over buying a Happy Meal at McDonald's!!!!

FROM REV. C.H. ON CAPE COD: You caught me on a good day - I treated an elderly woman in the congregation to a noontime concert and lunch today... and decided to pay an emergency fill-in babysitter more than we usually pay. So, at least today, by supporting musicians and people who watch children, I am indeed casting a vote for the kind of world I want. Thanks for the affirmation!

FROM PR F.M. IN WISCONSIN: I cast a vote today for Our Savior's, Rocky Boy, MT. It is a mission of our church to an Indian Reservation, which I have supported since I was in Sunday School. We used to have a birthday 'bank' in which we dropped pennies, a number equal to our age, and those pennies were sent to Rocky Boy! Now it is not pennies, but a check two or three times a year. Oh, for your info., gas here is $2.869 - I have driven much the last week, so I haven't had to buy any - the last gas I bought was $2.599!

JOHN LENNON: If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there'd be peace.

No comments: