Monday, March 19, 2007

Jack’s Winning Words 3/19/07
“The purpose of education is to replace an empty mind with an open one.”
(Malcolm Forbes) I’m forever grateful for the professors in college and seminary who opened my mind. Would you be described as an open-minded person? I like to read the quotes inside the back cover of Forbes each month. Have you seen them? ;-) Jack


FROM REV. C.H. ON CAPE COD: No I haven’t seen them. Do they open your mind?!

FROM GOOD DEBT JON IN OHIO: I disagree with Malcolm here. He is speaking of the concept of tabula rasa the concept that we all begin with a clean slate and the teacher “writes” as they wish on it. This is a favorite argument of those feeling nurture is more important than nature. It takes both. The original concept was from John Locke’s writings. Those who see public education as a way to indoctrinate societal beliefs to succeeding generations of little blank slates embrace the theory wholeheartedly viz: Horace Mann. John Dewy stated the teacher should be a “partner in inquiry.” While I am no fan of Dewy (venerated father of modern education) he has that part correct. The problem is even when teachers (some) are partners in inquiry they stand in the way of full inquiry (as per their training). How can we trust a government to teach our children and not expect it to teach them anything other than faith in government itself?

FROM REV. J.D. IN MINNESOTA: FOR ME THE PURPOSE OF EDUCATION IS TO TRAIN YOU TO THINK. IT IS SAD FOR ME TO SEE "EDUCATED" PEOPLE SO MYOPIC. IN RELIGION, POLITICS, OR ANY FIELD THOSE WHO CAN'T THINK FOR THEMSELVES ARE EDUCATIONALLY IGNORANT.


MORE FROM GOOD DEBT JON: The Right Reverend from MN hit it squarely that education is about learning how to learn. This is generally my first response to education. The teacher stays the student goes and hopefully retains a bit. My libertarian underpinnings are easily ruffed by either the right or the left. Most people respond from a script from the right or left. I often find I am misunderstood, a shortcoming of my personal style that I am trying to correct.

FROM MOLINER, D.S.: I think I am very open-minded, however, I don't think that the majority of "Professors" in colleges these days are by any means. I think they have an agenda that does not tolerate opposing views.

MORE FROM D.S. I am now experiencing that again in my old age with several guys from my bible study group. 4 or 5 of us go for bagels and coffee after our 7 a.m. session and talk for another hour or two and I am just engrossed in these conversations. If people really listen to others, and don't have "agendas" to expound upon you can really learn a lot and I have found the relationship with these guys to be most rewarding. Ha, it used to be girls, now it's guys. Does that mean anything?

FROM C.J.L. IN OHIO: I do hope I"m open-minded but at the same time with some well-defined anchors!

FROM FRIEND GENIE: I thought you'd be interested in knowing that my daughter Emily (in high school / a long time ago) wrote a paper on the meaning and importance of education. She wrote that education shouldn't be about what a teacher "covers " in a class but what they "uncover". I was impressed. (still am). She's a 4th grade teacher in Pecos, New Mexico now.

FROM B.S. NEAR ORLANDO: Hi, I hope so, but sometimes I catch myself with negative thoughts. Damn. When I got to Madison I got down on the ground and kissed it. I had made it and now if I could handle four more years of poverty, I would make it for life. Well I made it, and listened to Harvey Kimble, when he said to me, help your kids thought college, times are different than when you worked your way though. So, we did, and I thank Harvey to this day. All our children have done well with theirs lives, and are good citizens.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've finally come to the conclusion that something innately within me has been created to be receptive to symbols. Teachers all along have been bringing me knowledge that myself, having been created for learning, is to be open to. The knowledge wouldn't attach without my mind being specifically already prepared to receive it. If an educator thinks my mind is empty, the knowledge probably isn't going to attach itself very easily, if at all.