Monday, February 26, 2007

Jack’s Winning Words 2/26/07
“A guest sees more in an hour than a host in a year.”
(Polish Proverb) What does a stranger see in your home and in your life? Are there some things that need cleaning up? “Either eat this soup or jump out this window.” (Italian Proverb) In other words, Mama is saying, “Eat your soup!” Did (Do) you have a mom like that? I really smiled at this proverb. ;-) Jack


FROM G.L.: I think that a "fresh set of eyes" is good. There's plenty of cleaning up for me to do in both those areas, it's ongoing .. isn't it? As for the Italian mother --- Sounds like she was making her children an "offer they couldn't refuse". My mom had a different approach but she did LOVE soup and taught us to love it too! Pea soup and potato soup come to mind.

FROM C.H. ON CAPE COD: The first proverb makes me think of people visiting our churches. What do they see? Also, sometimes the guest or stranger not only sees our hospitality or lack thereof – sometimes they recognize God’s presence or movement in our midst more clearly.

FROM L.K. IN OH: Very much so. Mom was a benevolent despot. I loved her.

FROM REV. JOHN IN MPLS: EAT THOSE PEAS OR YOU WON'T GET ANY DESSERT. A PAINFUL REMINDER OF A MOTHER.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A guest in our house just sees a lot of books and a great love of them. My Mom was always saying "Stop that reading. Get down here and do the dishes." I'd rather read than clean the house up--cleanliness is next to Godliness I've heard. Glad to read your Winning Words this morning, Pastor Freed, now I'll go clean the house too as it needs cleaning up.

Anonymous said...

Now you know why we don't play host to guests anymore.