Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Jack’s Wining Words 2/27/07
“Need sells.”
(Norwegian Proverb) That’s how I like them…short and to the point. I like sermons that way, too. Here’s another. “Trust God, but tie up your mule.” (Belgian Proverb) It’s just common sense. God knows something about locking things up, otherwise he wouldn’t have made the keys of the kingdom. ;-) Jack


FROM G.S.: Peter Drucker: "People give (money) to results."

FROM J.H. IN MAUMEE: I like things short and sweet too... which reminds me of a story we probably told you long ago... but worth re-telling. Just after college when Jeanne and I went to visit David in California, we when to LA and went to a game show. While at the game show... they reminded the audience it was live taping, so we could NOT shout out the answers. Jeanne kept teasing me and calling me a "know it all" saying I wouldn't be able to resist yelling out the answers. I assured her I would not. WELL... as the story goes, one of the questions was "what is the shortest verses in the bible"... and of course JEANNE YELLS OUT "Jesus Wept"! I love to remind her of this story... and I will never, ever forget the shortest verse.

FROM S.M. IN SUNNY FLA: Just a note to let you know how much I am enjoying your proverbs, especially the Belgian one. One of my cousins is secretary of the Belgian Cultural Center in Moline and I have joined and learned a lot from the newsletter. Also we have gotten into my swedish grandparents because a friend of my daughter in Orlando is here for two years with her husband and daughters. She has gotten into the Swedish migration from New York to Minneapolis, and they took the trip last summer. I am plodding through Letters from the Promised Land Swedes in America, 1840-l914 H Arnold Barton, editor, and learning a lot that I never knew before.

FROM B.G. IN MI: Ironically timely, Jack. A lap top and eight microphones were stolen from our sanctuary Saturday afternoon around 3 p.m. We have it on tape. The doors of the church happened to be open for a birthday party in the family center and I had just happened to set up the lap top and the powerpoint projector for Sunday’s sermon. I hate to think that we need to keep the doors locked all the time, but who knows? After all, aren’t we supposed to trust God, BUT TIE UP OUR MULE?!? J

No comments: