Monday, January 15, 2007

Jack’s Winning Words 1/15/07
“The time is always right to do what is right.”
(MLK, Jr) To know what is right is something you learn in a variety of ways. Maybe it’s from a parent, a teacher, a friend, a book or an experience. Where did your system of values come from? How about your sense of knowing the right time? ;-) Jack


FROM A JUDGE IN MI: HOW ABOUT? TO DO JUSTICE IS EASY---TO DO WHAT IS FAIR IS HARDER.

FROM SH IN MI: Happy Martin Luther King, Jr.,s Day. Glad you are quoting this preacher man that has had such an impact on all of us personally and as a country. In thinking about your questions, I believe my sense of values comes from the Bible and the teaching of the values is mediated by all the people in my life, primarily parents and preachers/pastors but also everyone else whom God puts us together. Sometimes the teaching comes even through the mediation of a person's death. I always wonder whether people choose to surrender and give their Souls to Christ in eternity or whether Christ beckons them and finally they are joyfully powerless to do anything but die and go to the mansion He has for them. Martin Luther King, Jr., was killed. What happens then? His whole life as I find out more and more about it mediates teaching of the Bible/values to me. I only guess and I know I also strongly hope that stuff I actually do do comes about through the Holy Spirit telling me what is the right time to do stuff. When I feel very cowardly, I remember that Luther said to "sin boldly" and that seems to give me courage to do something that I intuitively believe is the right thing to do.

FROM A FRIEND IN NYC: My father has a saying that he drummed into us when we were young, and now we kid him about it (even though we acknowledge we’ve passed it along to our own children!): “It’s never wrong to do the right thing.”



No comments: